Monday 12 January 2009

Art on the Underground

I was at Baker Street station, getting on to a south-bound Jubilee line train. I got in the carriage and turned round to face back to the platform. And there, on the wall, was a very large picture, a blow up of a pen and ink drawing, it seemed, of a man brandishing a riding crop or a switch or something, standing next to a woman who looked like she was gagged! I nearly fell over! Unfortunately at that point someone else got into the carriage and blocked my view, before I could figure out what was going on in the picture.
Baker Street is famous for being the home of Sherlock Holmes, and the underground station does have a lot of references to the fictional detective, so it's not beyond the realms of possibility that the drawing was an illustration from one of the stories, but what I want to know is how many other semi-kinky pictures are there on the London Underground system?! Trying to spot some will certainly make future journeys more interesting.

2 comments:

Jay Walker said...

Hello Elaine.
Hmmmm I shall have to go a hunting for that picture.
I'm wondering if you are the Elaine that my friend Olivia Manners has spoked about?
Hugs, Jay

Irelynn said...

Ha! I'm going to Baker Street soon and I will investigate for you, my dear. That just sounds too good to be true, but it must be, cause you saw it. Yes, I know, logic... But then again, it *is* late. Sort of.

See you on Friday!