Tuesday 26 May 2009

Myers-Briggs

Inspired by conversations over the weekend, I decided to go and take a free online Myers-Briggs profile test, as amazingly I've managed ten years in the workplace without ever having to do one.
And now I've done one, I think I might have to go and hide under the bed and cry for a while. It reckons I'm an ISFJ, 11% Introverted, 62% Sensing, 62% Feeling, 33% Judging, for those of you who understand these things.
Not really understanding this much, I went and read the description.

Of course some pieces of it I can't really relate to, but a lot of it rings horribly true:
"ISFJs are often unappreciated, at work, home, and play. Ironically, because they prove over and over that they can be relied on for their loyalty and unstinting, high-quality work, those around them often take them for granted--even take advantage of them. Admittedly, the problem is sometimes aggravated by the ISFJs themselves; for instance, they are notoriously bad at delegating ("If you want it done right, do it yourself"). And although they're hurt by being treated like doormats, they are often unwilling to toot their own horns about their accomplishments because they feel that although they deserve more credit than they're getting, it's somehow wrong to want any sort of reward for doing work (which is supposed to be a virtue in itself). (And as low-profile Is, their actions don't call attention to themselves as with charismatic Es.) "
Um, yup, hands up who has big problems with delegating, and even bigger problems with "boasting" about achievements. Guilty as charged.

"Like most Is, ISFJs have a few, close friends. They are extremely loyal to these, and are ready to provide emotional and practical support at a moment's notice. (However, like most Fs they hate confrontation; if you get into a fight, don't expect them to jump in after you. You can count on them, however, run and get the nearest authority figure.) Unlike with EPs, the older the friendship is, the more an ISFJ will value it. One ISFJ trait that is easily misunderstood by those who haven't known them long is that they are often unable to either hide or articulate any distress they may be feeling. For instance, an ISFJ child may be reproved for "sulking," the actual cause of which is a combination of physical illness plus misguided "good manners." An adult ISFJ may drive a (later ashamed) friend or SO into a fit of temper over the ISFJ's unexplained moodiness, only afterwards to explain about a death in the family they "didn't want to burden anyone with.""
Yup, me again. And I would imagine that it could be seen as a typical ISFJ behaviour that I very nearly took out any of the good bits in that previous sentence in case they were seen as boastful.

The only bit that really doesn't ring true is the bit about "Being SJs, they place a strong emphasis on conventional behavior; if any of their nearest and dearest depart from the straight-and-narrow, it causes the ISFJ major embarrassment"
Though I suppose that all depends whether writing a spanking blog is considered "departing from the straight and narrow"?

6 comments:

Graham said...

Oh man, I'm kinda obsessed with that test and its psychic abilities. My best friend and I took it awhile ago and the results were scarily accurate. I'm one letter off from you — an INFJ.

As for the "conventional behavior" bit, I'm pretty sure writing a spanking blog is totally normal. I hear all the kids are doing it these days. (Owning nine billion pairs of knickers, on the other hand... : )

Master Retep said...

I suspect we all have our own straight and narrows and they're not even lined up parallel, let alone the same.

Indy said...

I dunno, Graham. Surely any self-respecting SJ needs enough knickers so that she can be sure that she'll always have a clean pair in case she ends up having to go to the hospital. What could be more conventional than that?

Of course, your average NF (I know, there's no such thing, we're all special in our own ways) needs to express herself right down to the knickers, so she needs quite a few pairs as well.

I, on the other hand, as an NT, don't have to go shopping. Owning so many pairs of knickers simply isn't logical. :-)

I seem to remember from the comments that Abel, Haron, and Niki got that the (mostly male) tops were all XXTJ (or even XNTJ) and that bottoms could be anything at all. No wonder it's so hard to find a good top if the starting pool of personality types is so small!

Rebecca said...

I don't know Eliane - surely the spankings are to keep you on the straight and narrow? Thus it makes perfect sense...you like conventional behaviour so much that you're channelling a bygone era...or something!

I'm an ENFP (so almost opposite to you) and the description is scarily accurate...but I like my pigeonhole - apparently ENFPs are 'Champions' which surely can only be a good thing to be :)

Caroline Grey said...

I'm a big fat INFP. I always always always get that result, no matter how many of the tests I take, or how much older I get. The degree of my "I" changes, but it's always there.

Hmmm, I am going to steal this blog post tomorrow, I think.

Master Retep said...

Just tried it and I'm ISTJ, but the T is the only strong one at 50%, the other scores are wimpy. Of, course I wanted a third option than Yes or No for some questions.