Wednesday 16 July 2008

Spanking and Genetics

On one of the forums I’m on, there’s a discussion going on about whether spanking is genetic or not. Now for my own part, I have no reason to believe that I inherited my love of spanking from anyone, or that my parents or sibling were at all into anything like that, but I have spoken to people who know that their siblings are also kinky, and some bloggers who suspect, or sometimes actually know that their parents or children are into it.
All this has got me thinking. What would I do if I had children who were nearing adulthood and who I suspected were spankos. Would I try to talk to them about it and risk alienating and/or upsetting them once they knew what Mum and Dad got up to in the bedroom? Would I just leave well alone and hope that it took them less time than it took me to realise that wanting to be spanked or to spank is not some perverted, weird desire but a valid part of their sexuality?

I honestly don’t know. As I don’t have kids it’s a hypothetical anyway, but would I want to see anyone spend a large portion of their adult life (well, it was12 years for me) thinking their fantasies were wrong and dirty, especially when it was someone I loved and wanted to be happy? I sure as hell wish someone had taken me aside at 18 and told me it was nothing to be ashamed of. However, would I have wanted that to be my parents? I’m not so sure about that.

I’m bringing myself down writing this, but it just seems a very strange world we live in where homosexuality is accepted, adultery is often accepted, but being into consensual adult spanking is seen as totally perverted and something to be kept hidden at all costs. But that’s probably another post altogether anyway!

3 comments:

PK said...

OW,
You know I waited nearly 40 years before I told anyone about my kink. Wish I hadn't wasted so much time but I know I wouldn't have wanted to hear anything about it from my parents! Then I might have had to admit to myself that they might have had sex! Horrors!! If my kids turn out to be spankos they can learn about it on the internet the same as me! LOL!!

Anonymous said...

Elaine,
Interesting post. I have a daughter and a son. My daughter keeps her sex life private, except I accidentally found out that she had one. I, of course, took her to the doctor and got her the protection she needed.

My son is younger and he talks pretty freely with me about sex. I mean, we both openly admit that it is embarrassing and we usually don't look at each other while we talk. (I sit at my desk with my back to him on my bed, or we are next to each other in the car with my eyes on the road... you get the idea). Anyway, there are ways to talk to kids about sex if they want to. If either of my kids gave an indication that they had concerns about their sex lives or their fantasies, etc., I think they could come to me. BUT! I don't think they would want me to volunteer anything about MY sex life that they didn't directly ask! So, that is my take on the situation.
Take care,
Maryann

Malcolm said...

It could be that you see spanking as a perversion just because you have that proclivity. You say you are new to spanking - maybe as time goes on and you collect more experience, you won't see it like that so much, but as just a kinky practice. An awful lot of people do like it, so it's getting to be almost a mainstream division.

Nice to read your blog, this is the first time I have been here. Keep going!