Sunday 1 August 2010

Switches

If you go down to the woods today....

You're likely to find two pervy girls wandering around debating the merits of switches.
One of us (not me) has a fascination about getting sent out to the woods to find a switch. Well, OK, maybe I find that quite a hot fantasy as well. So when we found ourselves in the woods, we decided that it really would be an opportune time to do some research.

Research into switches seems to involve lots of walking around looking at the floor, trying to spot sticks that might prove "fit for purpose". It's amazing how many aren't, actually. Too thin, too thick. Too long, too short. There were a whole load that never even made it off the ground and into our hands for further research.

The ones that did though, were of a particular type. About two feet long. Thinnish. Picked up, swished up and down through the air. Noises studied, brittleness assessed. Merits debated. Many discarded at this point.

A few make it through to the next cut though. Then we start trying them out, on our hands, once or twice on each others bottoms. Some broke, so they were discarded. One was doing fine until I caught it on an overhanging branch on my back swing, so that one was gone as well.

We ended up with three switches, but the additional research with them still didn't prove very conclusive. Switches always sounds like a very painful implement when you read about them, but as I tried one out on Irelynn, she didn't seem to be particularly impressed. To be fair, my technique isn't great, and when I was repeatedly hitting the same spot, it elicited an ouch, but none of the switches we picked seem to emulate in any way those mythical implements we'd heard of.

So what is it that make a good switch? Does it need to fresher, cut straight from the branch? Thicker? Thinner? I've brought three home with me that I'll maybe soak in the bath and see what that does to them. But what do you know about switches? Any advice you can give us?

5 comments:

Irelynn Logeen said...

Yes, enlighten us, people. Really, we want to know. ;-)

Casey Morgan said...

They need to be cut fresh, hence the phrase "go cut a switch". Twigs on the ground are just that--twigs. They need to be wick to work properly. Soaking twigs will just produce soggy twigs.

And really... deep down you know this. One would think you two didn't _really_ want to find switches...

ronnie said...

Elaine,

Don't know an awful lot about switches but apparently for best flexibility is to cut them fresh right before use rather than keeping it for re-use over considerable time.

Love,
Ronnie
xx

Anonymous said...

Yes, Casey and ronnie are right: absolutely fresh (keep them in water like cut flowers if they have to wait even a couple of hours), thin and flexible, and our favourite if you can find it is a whole sapling with just the flimsy tip cut off. The suckers that sprout straight up from the base of some trees can be good (or bad?!?) too. I can vouch for the fact that a good switch is a VERY effective toy. Happy hunting!
Anna

Kaelah said...

I love switches because they've got the same hot look like canes and I find the connection between nature and spanking extremely hot. I had cut some switches before I asked Ludwig to introduce me into the world of spanking and tried them on myself to see whether there was any chance that I might not only find the fantasy appealing but like the real thing, too. The switches I use are from different bushes and I have to admit that I don't know how they are called. But the branches are about as thick as a cane, a little bit less flexible, but still flexible enough. Unfortunately, when Ludwig uses them with that wrist flick, the switches also feel very much like canes, not as sweet and nice as they felt when I tried them myself... ;-)