Sunday 1 February 2009

A new book

I was innocently browsing in my local bookshop this weekend, picking up various books for purchase, when the title of one caught my eye. Just there, on the shelf in the normal fiction section:
Sadomasochism For Accountants
Before you could say "um, excuse me, do my eyes deceive me?!" it had joined my other purchases on the pile.
I've not read it yet, but here's what the synopsis on Amazon said:

A highly original debut novel from a brilliant young Edinburgh writer. When thirty-eight-year-old pale and uninteresting Paula is dumped by her long-term accountant boyfriend Alan, she decides that drastic measures must be taken. Spying on Alan and his new, younger girlfriend Belinda isn't getting her anywhere and a surprise 'artistic' appearance in their flat only results in a restraining order. So Paula decides it is time to lose her boring image and spice up her sex life thanks to an ill thought out boast to Alan about her wild new horizons, she finds herself in front of the not particularly tasteful red velvet drapes of Liscious; the local S&M Club. Once inside she finds a strange kind of comfort in the support of her new friends including Luda the transvestite, Dave her adoring sidekick, Gretchen the kind hearted Dominatrix, her wannabe minion Slave Boy and the mysterious, and otherwise naked, Man in the Mask. When the group decide to pool their talents to help bring Alan and Paula back together a hilarious adventure ensues, involving love, bondage, painful misunderstandings, James Bond and an oddly eloquent tree.

I'm going on holiday next week. That will be at the top of my reading pile!

6 comments:

OliviaManners said...

Back to buying books I see! ?

I'm sorry I never came back this evening.

Olivia
xx

Indy said...

Do report back after you've read it, please!

Winchester said...

Watch out Amazon for a massive sales boost! And yes, echoing Indy, when you have read it, report back. Many such books are intended to titillate but are so badly written.

K said...

Sounds very humorous, and interesting. Can't wait to hear what you think of it.

Anonymous said...

Um... that sounds all well and good and all, but...

An eloquent tree?

A what-what???

Eliane said...

Smudge - I don't know what an eloquent tree is, but I will find out for you all and report back!!