Sunday 27 September 2009

Feedback Slut

So, I've always said before that I write this blog for me, and I don't really mind if people comment or not. And that still pretty much stands. Obviously it's nice if someone comments, and I love hearing from you all, but when it's my thoughts, about me, my main aim is just to get them down. Feedback is an added extra bonus. I've realised though that fiction is another thing altogether. I'm, somewhat to my shock, a TOTAL feedback slut. I think years of being told I couldn't write at school left me with something of a complex, and now, when I put something out there, my soul cries "like me, like me, validate me, like my writing" in a way it never does just for my normal ramblings. Starting to write for Winterbrook Hall has made this rather worse. You see, comments get mailed to us as soon as they appear on the site. So I'm sitting there going "My post went up three minutes ago, why hasn't anyone commented, they all must hate it!" and then go and have a mini nervous breakdown. If it's any consolation, I *hate* this newfound side of myself, as needy is not a word I'm generally cognisant of, but there we go. So, if you want to keep me from having a mini nervous breakdown, and therefore being unable to write anything at all, fiction or otherwise, you'll have to go comment on Winterbrook Hall. And, as you don't know which characters I write, and I'm not about to tell you, you'd better go and comment on all of them. Ha, see what I did there?! Of course, I could just have the email comments to my account turned off. That might work as well. I like the first plan better though.

11 comments:

Master Retep said...

Perfectly natural, all of us who write blogs are showing off and hoping for a reaction. Nobody likes to sit in a pub if everybody else seems to ignore their attempts to start a conversation. If your diary blogs were really just for yourself, an old fashioned pencil powered diary would be fine.

I read you blogs, I enjoy them and I'm still having the fun of trying to guess which of you author which characters in the Hall.

Please keep writing and don't have any mini breakdowns, no matter how many times you find half your bra is inside out. Like writing, putting on bras is a skill you will eventually acquire.

Jessica said...

I like your writing - it makes me smile!

Lurvspanking said...

When I started my new spanking blog recently I had all good intentions of not caring about comments and feedback. Then I started my novel and I'm now once again torn between, reading, writing and commentating. We are all feedback sluts in need of a hard caning in order to focus our concentration.

LS

Indy said...

I definitely understand the need for affirmation after putting a piece of yourself on the internet. Speaking for myself, though, it takes a bit of time to get to know the characters on a fictional blog before I can think of much to say. I will tell you that I smile when I see a Winterbrook Hall post on my blog reader. :-)

Serenity Everton said...

I've noticed that I am much more uptight about comments on stories (evidence the recent exchange on twitter about it!) than I am about the usual twaddle that is on my blog. Don't know why, but there it is!

Winterbrook Hall is lovely, although I wish they were 16 and 18 instead. I understand, though, that is not doable what with the current climate ...

s

ronnie said...

I do enjoy your posts, don't always comment.
No matter what we say we all like to receive comments.

Will have to pop over to Winterbrook Hall

Ronnie
xx

Graham said...

Are you trying to get me addicted to *another* blog? That's just sneaky of you, it is.

I'll admit to being a shameless feedback slut when it comes to the blog. Like Master Retep said, a regular ol' diary works fine when writing "just for me" - the blog is about communication!

Paul said...

Eliane, I very much like the Hall. I comment on most posts.
Warm hugs,
Paul.

Anonymous said...

Although "Winterbrook Hall" is barely off the launching pad, I think it shows a great deal of progress.

e.e.norcod

Hermione said...

I like Winterbrook Hall too. The thing is, I usually don't even think about leaving comments on fiction blogs. I don't know why. Maybe because the characters aren't real. I enjoy the day's story, then move along.

I do know what you mean about being more sensitive to comments about fiction rather than everyday blogging. Maybe that's why I don't write fiction - I'm too sensitive.

Hugs,
Hermione

Abel1234 said...

Winterbrook's great - as is your blog, of course.

I know what you mean about craving feedback - I hadn't especially thought about the fact we'd get comments when Haron and I started our blog a few years back, but that's been the most rewarding thing about having the site. And if we don't get comments now, I tend to get all sulky and upset!

That said, I'm a bad commenter myself - I don't get to read people's blogs as regularly as I like, and so (as with this reply) often find myself commenting well after the posting date!