Sunday 20 September 2009

Non Kinky Ranting

Sorry, this is a totally non kinky post. I just need to have a rant. At myself. Yes, I know, someone should spank me for being so hard on myself. See, there, knew it would get kinky even if only for a second.
Anyway, back to the ranting. I've just come back from food shopping. This time I made a list. I don't often make lists, but if I'm making things to a recipe and need to get the right ingredients, I take a list with me. Of course, I forgot that list making when you are dyslexic only has limited value unless you play Santa Claus and check the damn thing again and again. Needless to say, I hadn't copied the ingredients down correctly, so when I got home I realised I'd got double the amount of one ingredient, missed out four others and generally screwed up and need to go shopping again tomorrow. I know this, in the grand scheme of things, is a very little issue, and indeed my dyslexia is mild and things could be much worse, but in a way it's the very nature of its mildness that is so frustrating. It always seems as though it should be something that I should conquer, that it's not a disability, merely an imperfection that I should be able to correct. And as we all know, imperfection is something I struggle with.
OK, rant over.

4 comments:

Haron said...

Look at it this way: you're going to be very good and make an extra trip to the supermarket, which forces beyond your control has made necessary. For being such a good girl and going where you don't particularly want to go, you are allowed to buy yourself a treat once you're there. A skirt, for instance, or a bottle of nail varnish, or whatever you like.

See? It's easy to love yourself.

Alyx said...

Not sure if this will apply to your situation, but sometimes I take the recipe(s) that I'm buying the ingredients for with me. That way I don't have to do the extra work of writing stuff into a list, and I also don't have to worry about getting the amounts correct.

Of course, if you're dyslexic there's always the danger you'll read the recipe wrong even if you have it with you, but at least that eliminates the step of transposing/forgetting stuff.

Scarlett De Winter said...

Haron = nail on head. Get yourself a girly magazine or new mascara or something like that, because you deserve it. More because you're lovely, than anything else.
I know how much being a Dys- can suck. Especially when people mock your inablility to tell left from right or the time!

xxx

Eliane said...

I got myself a new skirt, by the way. Which I blame Haron for. Bad Haron.
Alyx, that would be a great suggestion, if the recipes weren't in three different, heavy books with my scanner and printer being in a storage locker three miles away..! But in future, yes!