Sunday 4 July 2010

Learning To Cane - Or Not?

A friend tried to teach me to cane last night. My lack of topping skill is a well known joke among my friends, as is the disparity between my ability to "talk the talk" and my total inability to do anything more than that! To be fair, people do generally seem to think that I will eventually get the topping bug, and they are probably right. At the moment though, even if I intellectually want to top people, I find it quite hard because, well, I don't like to hurt them!

First of all, I just worry about hurting them with the spanking, despite the fact that I know that on some level they will be enjoying it. I also worry about hurting them in a way I don't intend to, e.g. with improper technique. For this reason I often will ask people for tips about technique.

Therefore, when a friend offered to give me a caning lesson, I of course accepted. Well you would, wouldn't you? Everything was set up - an "easy to handle" cane, furniture moved out of the way, cushions positioned over the sofa. So there I stand, cane in hand, having had some basics demonstrated, start to try and hit the cushions, and basically have a wee bit of a meltdown.
I suddenly found myself on the verge of tears. I was stressed, I was upset, and wasn't truly sure why. I certainly thought I was being pretty bloody silly. After all, I was caning a cushion. There's not a huge amount to get upset about doing that. It became obvious fairly quickly that this disquiet that I was feeling was not about to magically disappear, so we hugged, and chatted about why I had reacted like I had. In my normal style, I was inclined to be hard on myself, calling myself an idiot, and generally being cross that I'd been so silly. My friend was lovely and reassured me that I was not an idiot, and we talked about what might have been behind my reaction. I don't know to be sure, but I think that it may well relate to the way I view the cane.

As I've posted before, the cane is my nemesis. It's an implement that I fear like no other, and that I don't ever think I would truly be able to "love". On the other hand, it also has a psychological power over me like nothing else. It's possible that my little "meltdown" was related to the fact that it was caning we were trying. After all, the act of using something that has such a psychological hold over me, even if I'm merely using it on cushions, is a powerful thing. Logically, it's maybe not surprising that the thought of inflicting something that I hold in such awe on another person (the ultimate end goal, even if not in that lesson!) was an upsetting one.

I think I'm going to lay off the canes for now. I might aim for something I love first, before moving onto something that I've got a less straightforward relationship with.

4 comments:

Casey Morgan said...

The way you describe your highly charged relationship to the cane for some reason brings to mind some of what Mark told me about growing up in schools where it was used, in which there was a sort of cult of the cane. They, too, felt a combination of awe, fear, revulsion, and fascination about the object, and the idea of touching it voluntarily was... pretty unthinkable. It had a magic aura. And while they had a schoolboy predilection towards whacking each other with twigs or other objects readily to hand, they would not have considered taking real live canes to each other, even if it were possible.

This doesn't line up with your situation entirely, but the post does remind me of that raw schoolboy reverence and loathing of The Cane.

indy said...

@eliane: oh, I'm sorry it was so traumatic. I'm sure you won't want anyone else to have to suffer through that experience at your house and your birthday party will be strictly a hand-spanking one. Right?

@ cdm: There's a similar description in Bastard Out of Carolina, only about the step-father's belt. IIRC the main character would touch them, as if doing so would reduce their magical hold on her.

MarQe said...

I'd of course be glad to show you how to apply the cane, perhaps a mirror for you to see how I whip it in using wrist action at the last moment to give it more momentum !! I used to play badminton before concentrating the female rear !!

Haron said...

A sound decision, I think - see if you enjoy using something that you enjoy taking. A flogger, maybe? (Though they do knacker your shoulder.)

If you don't actually enjoy it, that's fine too :)