Sunday 23 August 2009

Competetive Subbing

There's been various posts on the subject of competitive subbing. by Jessica, EmmaJane and Graham among others. When I was first having a discussion about this with Jessica, I commented that I would ever "competitive sub" in that I would never look down on someone who wasn't "taking enough" in a scene.

This holds true, but I do my own particular brand of competitive subbing. With myself. I don't try and take more than anyone else (because I know I'll fail!) I don't even try and take things particularly stoically, if I'm not in the mood to. What I do try and do, though, is to compete with myself, If I take less than I have done previously, or don't take it as well as last time, I get very cross with myself. I berate myself for being a wimp, pathetic, and all manner of other things. Which is silly really, as so much affects how hard you can play each time that you should just take it for what it is and not beat yourself up if it didn't live up to the last time.

Easy in words. Not so easy in practice.

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

Awww it is hard. I think the big thing to recognise is that how much you take will also be relative to your headspace on the day - so if you must compare look at how much you took last time you felt as crap as you feel on the day you don't take much. Or just enjoy it if you can - but this is easier said than done :)