Saturday 22 August 2009

Limits and Consequences

Jemima has been plotting mischief this week. It's back to school time soon and one can't go back to school without having the odd joke or two lined up. So my brain has been working overtime. I delight in causing nice mischief nowadays, it's so much fun, but I've been wondering why I never, ever missed behaved in school. I think I've mentioned before quite how sickeningly good I was, and I think it was all to do with consequences. I suppose I was never really sure if I misbehaved at school as a child what the consequence would be. It would never have been physical, of course, but would I have got into trouble? Had detention? Been suspended? Or worst of all, would I have disappointed people? Would they have stopped liking me? Rejected me? All too horrible to contemplate for my childhood self. Nowadays, at Lowewood, things are a little simpler for Jemima. She understands the consequences. If she misbehaves, she gets whacked. Simple as that. Nobody is going to like her less, or reject her for making mischief. Of course, I'm not condoning CP for kids at all, it's just wrong. It would have terrified me as a child, but now, for me as Jemima, it liberates and allows me to release that naughty side without fear of "letting people down". I know where the line is, and I know the consequences of crossing it and that can make life lots of fun if I choose to step over the line!

4 comments:

EmmaJane said...

Totally agree on the not letting people down thing. Lowewood allows us to be 'brats' to a certain degree without needing to care what anyone thinks of us. Yes the price of freedom (or something) is a strapping or caning. Always worth it!

Paul said...

Eliane, and even more so for those that you brat or trick.
They have the pleasure of watching you wriggle. WEG!
Warm hugs,
Paul.

Abel1234 said...

I'm sure Jemima will be a very good girl at school.

Rev A. Jenkins
Chaplain

Eliane said...

Um, whatever, Rev J.