Tuesday 4 August 2009

A Vanilla-Spanko Dictionary?

I've talked before how I've been very lucky that the vanilla friends I've told about my kink fall into three categories: already kinky, interested, or at the very least accepting. The kinky and the interested ones often want to know about what I'm actually up to. Those conversations with the kinky folk tend to be easy as they know what I'm talking about, but I'm finding with the vanilla folk it gets a bit trickier. I'll be gaily wittering on about straps and birches and OTK, only to encounter blank looks, at which point I have to stop to explain what the hell it is I'm talking about.
I'm thinking of solving this problem by creating a vanilla - spanko dictionary. It would have commonly used spanko terms with an explanation of what they are.
For example:

"birch" - you know those bunches of decorative twigs that people have in their house? Or maybe a load of young tree branches cut down and tied together? Yup, a bit like that. And yes, it does hurt (or so I'm told!)

Then I could just hand this over to my vanilla friends, they could do some study, and conversations would be much more straight forward.

3 comments:

Julie said...

A very useful idea. Can I order one in German, please? :P

Jessica said...

Wooden spoon: For stirring soup with and whacking the naughty maid?

Indy said...

Bathbrush: why would you put in the bathroom where it can get wet? That would make it hurt much worse.

Alas, the dictionary probably wouldn't help. As it took me over a year of reading blogs to understand the cultural (or sub-cultural, I guess) norms of the spanko community, I guess I can't blame vanilla friends for not knowing.

It does make it easier to talk to kinky folks, though.