Saturday 1 August 2009

The stories your parents tell you...

There's a couple of things that I never eat, which is all the fault of my parents. One is chewing gum. This is because my mother used to tell me that if you swallowed chewing gum, it would curl up in your insides and you'd die. So my 8 year old brain believed this (I was gullible, I still am!), and I have never, ever, eaten chewing gum. When the ice cream van came round, I used to be too scared to get those ice cream tubs which had a ball of bubblegum at the bottom, in case I ate it by accident and died... it wasn't nice being scared of the ice cream van.

I also hate peanuts. My parents had a friend who worked in a hospital who used to tell horror stories about having to treat children who had choked on peanuts. I think the moral of the story was supposed to be 'chew your food', but the message that I received was 'peanuts are bad and evil'. So, again, I still don't eat peanuts.

Now if someone had just told me a horror story about chocolate when I was a kid, life would be so much simpler now!! Yeah, I know, I know, I could try spanking to put me off chocolate ;-)

6 comments:

Rebecca said...

Makes a mental note never to serve Eliane peanuts! What about chocolate with peanuts? Seriously though life without chocolate - don't wish that upon yourself!!

EmmaJane said...

Ha, my mum told me that one too about the chewing gum. But I still ate it. I'm so BRAVE!!!!!

TC said...

Yup, my Irish mammy told me that one and I too swallowed it hook, line and sinker.

Another whopper was that babies popped out from belly-buttons. That gave me 'Alien' type nightmares before the movie ever came out :)

Jay Walker said...

I heard the one about chewing gum too, but i never ate it...I chewed it then when i was done, put it in the wrapper and in the bin. Why would you eat it?

Abel1234 said...

OMG I had exactly the same conversation with Cath on Friday about chewing gum. I'm not sure which of us was more shocked - her that I don't swallow it, or me that she hasn't died a horrible from having her throat lined with old gum and her stomach walled with it to the point where there's no space left.

Personally, I'll stick to spitting rather than swallowing...

Eliane said...

I'm so glad I'm not the only one whose mother filled their head with lies about chewing gum. Though it seems as though I'm the only one who's still too much of us wuss to even put it in my mouth in case I accidentally swallow it and die a horrible death. Cheers Mum.