Tuesday 22 September 2009

Contentment

Talking with a friend the other day, she commented on how happy I seemed, and also how settled, and she was right. For years, since I left university really, I have been a long term sufferer of "itchy feet" syndrome. Every year or so I would have a desperate desire to travel, to get away. A couple of times I was able to act on this and take big trips, a couple of times not. In 2007 I was planning to take a sabbatical in '08 or '09 and go on another big trip. I spent a good part of the past 11 years planning various big holidays, possible routes, places I wanted to visit.

Over the past few months, that need to "escape" has abated. Don't get me wrong, I still love travel. I'm off on holiday in a few weeks, I will always be planning my next trip as well, but I don't feel the need for these trips to be 6 or 8 weeks in length. I mean, if I won the lottery, sure, I'd be off like a shot (I think), but for now, there seems to be more important things to do. Spending time with friends. Buying a house. Enjoying my play. I seem to have found a sort of peace in my life. I'm not so much in that state of questing. Some of that is down to age, I think, and wisdom, and the things I have experienced in life. Even though it's several years since my Dad died, the circumstances surrounding that still teach me lessons even today, and as I grow older I can appreciate those lessons more.
What I seem to have reached is a state of contentment, and I think so much of that can be put down to my embracing of my kink. I feel like I no longer have to be searching for a place in the world. I've found it. Being able to do what I do, with the wonderful people I do it with, has brought me an inner peace, a happiness. Contentment.

6 comments:

Scarlett De Winter said...

What a lovely post. I'm so glad that you're happy. Just one thing, when you wrote "buying a house", you meant, "buying a house with a hot tub."

Right?

xx

Graham said...

Aw. Ain't nothin like inner peace, is there? It's like you have kinky zen!

Rebecca said...

That is a really fantastic thing to have - am very pleased for you as you deserve lots of happiness (and to be spanked lots!) xx

Paul said...

Eliane, that is a wonderful feeling, treasure it.
Warm hugs,
Paul.

Abel1234 said...

That you also make so many other people feel happy should add to your contentment.

Lovely post!

Eliane said...

Thank you all for your lovely comments! And yes, Graham, it is like kinky zen!