Friday 4 September 2009

Being Jemima

It's strange, really. I've always loved acting, but until my first Lowewood day in May, I'd never really done any role play. It looks me a while to come up with a name, but during a conversation in the pub one evening, where various suggestions were being thrown around, Rebecca suggested Jemima Puddle-Duck, and lo, Jemima was born. Minus the puddle duck part, obviously! It was strange. As soon as I had the name, somehow the character was there, fully formed, within my head. I know her history, her strengths, her flaws. The fact that she's not that bothered about trying in lessons, that she can't resist making a come back, that she has that belief that you do when your 16 or 17 that the world should be fair, and get indignant when it's not. She isn't cynical or jaded. She's incredibly cheeky, and hasn't had many limits in her life, so doesn't always know when to draw the line or keep her mouth shut. She can be sulky if things aren't going her way, but she's also more than up for taking part in (or masterminding) any mischief going. She's more competitive in lessons than in games, but even then not particularly so. In short, she very quickly became real to me, somewhat to my surprise.
I think the lead up to this weekend has illustrated this particularly for me. Eliane, as you will have seen from my whinging posts, has not been much into spanking over the last few weeks, and secretly is a bit worried about tomorrow. Jemima on the other hand, is looking forward to tomorrow. It's back to school time, she will get to see friends like Caoilfhionn, Rebecca, Jessica and Sylvie again, plus other friends, and meet the new girls. For weeks she has been planning various bits of mischief to celebrate the beginning of the school year. She knows she's going to get into trouble. In fact, she knows if caught she will own up to her crimes, and pay accordingly, but that doesn't bother her. Why let the thought of a caning get in the way of an excellent plot?
So yes, Jemima is a fully formed person who I've become very fond of. Some aspects of her character are similar to mine, some aren't. She's a separate entity in many ways, even though she looks like me. And she is, dare I say it, rather out of control!

3 comments:

Graham said...

I really just adore Jemima : ) One of these days I want to do a real roleplay... I'm choosing not to count the last Lowewood as real, given that I'm pretty sure I was temporarily insane that day.

Can't wait to hear all about Jemima's adventures on the first day of school!

Paul said...

Eliane, good for Jemima may she have fun and a sore bottom and a week end to look happily back on.
Warm hugs,
Paul.

Indy said...

Sounds as though it was a blast!

When I complained about my name as a child, my mother used to tell me I should just be glad it wasn't Petunia Puddleduck. A cultural difference, or was Mom out to lunch on that one? :-)