Friday 26 June 2009

Not Getting Your Kink On

A while ago EmmaJane wrote a post about "getting your kink on". She made a very good point that those of us who aren't lucky enough to be in spanking relationships or have regular play partners have a "duty" to ourselves to make sure that we are always making the most of opportunities to play, even if we are tired or cranky or hungover. And she's right, we do have to get our kink on. Except for the odd occasion where we're better off not getting our kink on.
Like last night. I was supposed to have a play date. Unfortunately I also had a bad case of hormone-induced idiocy (i.e. PMT/PMS depending on where you are). I don't often get PMT particularly badly, but yesterday's was a horror. I spent the best part of 24 hours on the verge of breaking down in big wracking sobs. For no reason, of course, just because! In one way, a damn good spanking was probably exactly what I needed, but by halfway through the day, I realised that it was going to be a very silly idea. Two smacks probably would have been all it would have taken to break down that barrier that had prevented me from crying all day, and then it would have just been horribly messy. I wouldn't have enjoyed it, he wouldn't have enjoyed. It actually felt good to realise that I was too emotionally fragile at that point to "get my kink on", and also to make the decision that "not getting my kink on" was the best thing all round. Am I annoyed that I missed an opportunity to play? Yes, but in those few hours available it would have been the worst thing I could have done for myself, and been unfair to him as well.
I went shopping instead. And it turns out that there's nothing like a damn good shop (including six new pairs of knickers!) to make a girl feel human again. Of course, it could have been that the hormone wave was coming to an end anyway, but I'm going to chalk it up to the power of buying pretty things.

4 comments:

Angie said...

Good for you, and yes, I'm giving credit to the shopping as well; pretty undies always help.

Hope you are doing better,

Angie

Jessica said...

I actually think that even when you are in a relationship, you still need to 'get your kink on' - it's not all a mad spanking frenzy you know! But can understand that sometimes you just aren't up for it. Yes, even me!

Looking forward to seeing the new knickers tomorrow. I'm still in top mode. Hope you are ready to bend over for me!

Rebecca said...

Doh hope you're feeling a bit better now. I think you sometimes have to accept that you just aren't up for it and it's better to say no than to have a scene go horribly wrong. Am excited about new knickers - am planning on hitting the shops to treat myself tomorrow morning!

Caroline Grey said...

Aw, I know what you mean. I think it's a very good point. Even in a spanking relationship it cuts both ways. There are times when we realize we haven't been making time to play and make an extra effort to "get our kink on" and also times where I know it's just not the right time. No matter what your relationship status, it's about listening to yourself.

I'm glad you pampered yourself instead. Yay knickers!